Monday, August 16, 2010

Narcissistic personality. Ever lived with one?

Have you ever lived or been in a relationship with a person, who has Narcissistic Personality problems?





I just discovered my ex, whome I still have problems with, is a Narcissist, and I feel completely blind for missing it over the years. He abused me something royal (mentally) and I was too young to think it was him, and not me with the problem.





He is the father to my child. Any advice on how I can handle him for the best?Narcissistic personality. Ever lived with one?
YES my dad is a narcissist.





Don't feel blind - my mum and me (and brother) missed it for 25 years. We always knew there was something not quite normal about him, but never put it down to a personality disorder.





All I can say is don't try to reason with him anymore - he will never turn around and say sorry, so it's really not worth bashing your head against a brick wall about it. Only when I understood this was I able to let go and finally find some peace (internally), and some answers.





Remember that everything negative he has ever said to you is completely INVALID.





Also narcissists tend to get worse as they get older, and they generally are the hardest disorder to treat, because (as I'm sure you're well aware) they won't admit there's a problem within their own self inflated airs of grandeur.





My mum divorced him 5 years ago. She held out leaving him until me and my brother had left home. If anything it would have been better for her to have left him sooner rather than later.





You don't mention how old your child is - I know my dad's narcissm was incredibly damaging for both me and my brother. Don't let him have too much contact with your child if possible. Narcissists cannot empathise, which is very bad in respect of bringing up children.





Please feel free to email me if you want to chat more. x x


Narcissistic personality. Ever lived with one?
The truth is, if he is truely narcissistic, he will not change. Do not feel bad for missing it all those years because that is the art of the narcissist- they cannot get what they want from you if they make their life sucking ways noticable, so most around them do not realize it because most healthy persons cannot even begin to BELIEVE that a person can act this way. Its unnatural for most of us, so we come up with many other reasons for why they act this way. Narcissits can also objectify their children who in turn can become narcissits themselves, so I would be sure to be aware of the interactions he has with your child's personality development.
I could've written the identical thing (minus the child which I don't have). My ex -to- be was recently diagnosed with narcissism, and things are now coming together and I am realizing I am not to blame for a lot of our issues. They tend to think they are always right and important about everything. I don't know how you can handle him - my solution has been to leave him finally.
well i had a friend who was a big Narcissist and stopped talking to me when i gained weight cause i wasn't as perfect as he anymore so he was kinda embarassed.





he always acted superior for being handsome and such, but the way i delt with his was to just mock him in a 'cute' way.





didn't really solve anything, but it really was fun for me.








those people love themselves more than anything else, there is nothing much to do, just don't rely on them.
Just now looked for the exact meaning of narcissm


A personality disorder in which a person is so self-absorbed that the needs and feelings of others do not matter.


Hmm yes ... My ex was one too , I guess.. My feelings never ever mattered to him ..


He was so self-absorbed about what he thought, and ';his'; needs topped the list .....


sadly :( .....


People wont change for the better, unless they are ';truly'; in love, gal!


He never loved you truly , since he has left you ...!!



keep him as far away as possible it's not healthy for anyone.


A doctor said Mental illness is like a disease if someone has it it can make them closest ill too.


It is hard enough bringing up children without this in your life so get on with bringing up your child and be happy.
Pin point the fuel for his narcissism (collecting women, his looks, his perceived intelligence) and compliment him. He is easily manipulated by his ego.
actually i asked this question about my mum its here..,


http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/ind鈥?/a>
its actually quite a common trait i think-particularly in men! if he is abusive why would you want them in your child's life? they won't thank you for it.
my sister is

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I lived with A Narcissistic Man for 2 1/2 years. I thought he was the Love of My Life! I stood by his side while he was in jail for 3 months. I helped his company, I drove him around for 2 years while he had no licence, I invested so much emotionally into the relationship! I ignored the RED FLAGS at the beginning. His violent ways, his aggression, his cruel putdowns about me claiming always that he was "kidding". The emotional and verbal abuse started taking it's toll on me.Then came some physical assaults! I started suffering from Panic attacks mainly, from feeling like I was "Walking on Eggshells". It took me 6 times of breaking up and making up until one morning that we got into yet another argument from him trying to push my buttons. I decided that No one in this World was worth me losing my sanity over! I left him 5 weeks ago and went Completely NO Contact. Best thing I ever did! I still am going through the Healing process and I still have him on my mind almost everyday. I am soooo much happier now! The panic attacks have stopped and I feel like I can breathe again! Trust me, Leaving him was hard, but staying with him was like slow torture! Please get away from these Narcissist/Psychopaths! I beg you!

Post a Comment