Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My mom ='s recovering alcoholic, my dad an emotional manipulator, my f-I-L a narcissist & my MIL a borderline?

Is there ANY hope for my husband and me? WE have gotten rid of his family, which is hurtful and cost us every penny we ever had,and our house, so we moved in with my emotional manipulator dad and now are living in his house that he refuses to leave and we are supporting him here (including new floors, new roof, etc. since I was hoping he would sell it), and we are renovating a house for ourselves (me , hubby, son) but I dont know how we can ever leave because my bozo dad won't leave his house and can't afford it, of course he took a mortgage out on it that he can't pay and it is in his and my recovering alcoholic mother's name (they divorced last month after 20 yrs of separation, he cries daily) , so she will be financially ruined if he defaults and then I will have two of them to support...... IS THERE ANY HOPE that my hubby and I can become normal and have normal kids? SHould we stop with one since we have so much baggage? WHAT DO WE DO?My mom ='s recovering alcoholic, my dad an emotional manipulator, my f-I-L a narcissist %26amp; my MIL a borderline?
Normal is relative :-) There's always hope to recover from the damage that our family members did to us. We're responsible for our own recovery and improvement.





On a practical level, it would be wise to disassociate yourselves from dysfunctional family members such as your father, father-in-law and mother-in-law. Your mother sounds okay, since she's a recovering alcoholic, though can also be challenging at times. Your disassociation is not permanent, but only during those times that they cause you problems. You need to set boundaries with dysfunctional people, otherwise they will run all over you and take advantage of you.





But yes, your family definitely has hope. It's up to you to take action to head towards healing and disengage from co-dependent behavior.My mom ='s recovering alcoholic, my dad an emotional manipulator, my f-I-L a narcissist %26amp; my MIL a borderline?
I will drink to that and if you are anyone you will too
get out and leave your mum and dad to their own little worlds
You cosigned on your fathers loan? THat was your first mistake. You need to get your house finished, get in it, and get your name off his loan. Whatever happens to it after that is not your problem. I know some people will say that he is your dad and he took care of you..blah, blah, blah. But the truth is that he neither raised your husband nor your son and they are suffering because of this too. Get out and cut ties until he stops using you.
Your mom is a RECOVERING alcholic, so that's a non-issue. Every parent can be accused of emotional manipulation, ie guilt trips. A narcissist is just a personality trait, its not detrimental to anyone. And a borderline what? Borderline personality disorder? That is the only concern you should have, they can be unstable.





As for everything else, its your choice whether you support your parents or not, if you can't take it on, don't. This external stuff has nothing to do with your home and the way you raise kids or how your kids will end up. That has to do with you two as parents entirely. If you don't want them around your kids, don't let them. If you think you are going to repeat thier mistakes, figure that out.





Good luck
Wait, you are living in HIS house and you want him to leave? Who cares what his financial state is in this. You are in HIS house. Get out on your own. You seem like the manipulator here. God bless your son. Hopefully common sense kicks in by the third generation or someone upstairs at least feels sorry for the genetic future of this ';family'; of yours.





What do you do?





1. Move out and get YOUR own place.


2. Act like a family that wants to help one another rather than out of selfishness.

No comments:

Post a Comment