Monday, August 9, 2010

How can I make my sociopath/narcissist neighbor leave me alone?

Ever since I first confronted my neighbors about their behavior, it has gone from bad to worse. At the time I didn't know what a sociopath or a narcissist was. All I knew was that my neighbors were self-centered inconsiderate jerks. If I knew back then what I know now, I never would have done anything. This problem with them has lasted now for 2 to 3 years. I try very hard to ignore them, but I also don't want them to think that they can intimidate me, so I make sure to come outside whenever I choose. I will not stop living my life or hide from them. They are always outside in front of their house appearing to be doing something... like work on their yard, garage, cleaning their lawn mower, etc. And almost everytime I come out, they snicker at me or stare and try to intimidate me. Sometimes they flat out start talking and point at me. The rest of the neighbors and I get along fine... and there are no problems. In fact I am liked by the other neighbors and we have a good relationship. But despite this, they do not stop hating me... and are obsessed with it. They cunningly make sure to keep their harassments low key and only when other neighbors are not around. Before... they tried to include the other neighbors. But everything backfired on them when the neighbors could see the true motives. This happened one evening when they had a female friend of theirs visiting.





They got this female friend of theirs involved in the harassing and this went on for some time. One evening their friend was staring at me giving me dirty looks and trying to provoke or intimidate me. My other neighbor lives on the other side of them, and so I started to walk to visit with them. As i was walking I passed the sociopathic/narcissist neighbor and their visiting female friend. I didn't do anything, but simply walked by them. Part of this was in some way to show that I'm not intimidated by them. After awhile they came over to where I was visiting my other neighbor and tried to accuse me of bumping into their female friend. I calmly told them that this was not true and if they thought I did anything wrong to call the police. As soon as I turned my back to walk away, they changed their accusation from bumping this person to sexually harassing their female friend and rubbing up against her... and sarcastically asking if I make it a habit to rub up against women. This infuriated me! And I regretfully gave them what they wanted... a reaction. I pushed the sociopathic/narcissist husband. My lid was blown open and I was in a rage for them making such an accusation. And they made sure to do this in front of the other neighbors. The other neighbors didn't buy it and knew I would never do this. When things got out of hand, the sociopathic/narcissist wife stayed back, which now I know was only to call the police if I got angry. This was all part of their plan... to provoke me in some way to set me up so that they could call the police on me. When the police arrived there was a female police officer who believed their story and not mine. When this was going on, my heart dropped. But one male police officer did seem to listen to me and told the sociopathic/narcissist neighbor that they were not going to take me to jail for pushing him because I only reacted because I felt threatened. So their plan backfired there. The next few days went by and it was brought to my attention that my sociopathic/narcissist neighbor was sharing an audio copy of the incident that he secretly recorded that night. Again, I was outraged! This confirmed even more my suspicions of their motives... it was all a set up and a plan to humiliate me. That's why he changed his accusation and was obviously trying to provoke me... this was harassment. But the sharing of this recording backfired on them too. It backfired because it showed his efforts in trying to provoke me and it proved that this was all a set up. It also proved something else. If I had bumped their friend... or if I had rubbed up against her... then why would he secretly record the incident? Why would he persistently be trying to get me to react by pressing me and provoke me in the manner he did? Why would he change his accusation from bumping to rubbing up against her when he didn't initially get the reaction he wanted? And why did he do all this, while trying to claim the had witnesses that saw me do it? The neighbors he shared this audio with could see that... and that's why it backfired on them.





When that happened, they kept a low key and were quiet for awhile. But it wasn't long before they started up again. But this time they don't try to involved the other neighbors... they just are persistent at doing it themselves. They do have one or two friends that come over and visit them... and they sure love sharing their hate for me with them. Things were kind of quiet lately. But when the trash guys put their trash can up on their driveway... they assumed itHow can I make my sociopath/narcissist neighbor leave me alone?
i only read halfway but did you try putting up one of those tall fences? that way they can't look at youHow can I make my sociopath/narcissist neighbor leave me alone?
I read about halfway down, I sure did. It is quite likely that you just need to ignore your neighbors.
Umm...are you sure they are sociopathic/narcissistic and not just assholes? No offense, but its very unlikely that you have a whole family of sociopaths living next to you who also happen to associate with other sociopaths :/. If it was just one neighbor, that's fine, but a whole family? That's really unlikely. And from the sound of it, they do not seem sociopathic or narcissistic as sociopaths and narcissists don't go out of their way to annoy and hurt people. They manipulate people and use people; you can't do this if you are a jerk. Sociopaths are actually extremely charming, not jerkish, and narcissism is characterized by self-centeredness, not jerkish behavior. And keep in mind, they are not the same illness and a very, very different.





In fact, you are the one sounding a bit on the crazy side, lol. In all seriousness though, leave those people alone and avoid them. Don't try to show them how ';not intimidated'; you are. Don't walk in front of their house to prove to them you aren't scared. Don't react to the stuff they are doing because you will be just as wrong as they are (you're lucky that you didn't get arrested for pushing them; provocation or not, they didn't touch you and you made the first move. You can't even claim self-defense in that case so don't let it happen again. Keep your cool and don't allow them to get the better of you). Stop caring whether they're talking about you or not to their own friends (they aren't your friends, so what does it matter?). If you avoid them, they will have nothing against you and can't do anything to you. Who cares what they think or say of you; do you want peace of mind or to prove how tough you are?





They're just being jerks for whatever reason. Sometimes, people are assholes just because they need someone to pick on to make themselves feel better. That doesn't mean they're sociopathic or narcissistic...many people do that. And even if they WERE sociopathic or narcissistic, the same basic thing applies. Once you leave them alone and ignore them and stop fueling the flames, they will eventually leave you alone.





EDIT: Still, leave them alone and ignore them. It'll be hard, but they can't say anything about you or do anything to you if you aren't around them. The other neighbors will always be your witness if they try to do something to you, as long as you aren't doing ridiculous things like walking in front of them to ';show them you aren't intimidated';. I mean really, what do you expect the people here to say? For you to call the police on them for doing nothing but being a pest? For you to fight them to show them how bold and ';not intimidated'; you are? Seriously. The only thing you CAN do is to ignore them and trust me, that is also the best thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment