Monday, August 16, 2010

How can my depressed mom help herself?

My mom is really depressed, today she said her life was meaningless and that she wanted to just die.


The thing is, she is a housewife and has never experienced the outside world. My dad almost constantly makes her stay inside. If she goes outside at night because there is no milk left for us, he will complain (when he was supposed to bring home the milk from his deli). If she goes shopping for his clothes, he will complain (because she didn't ';cook his food.';) He is very condescending and often calls her stupid, ugly (whatever else that can be said). His prioriities are:


making money, impressing other people, and my mom comes last. He unleashes all his anger and stress onto my mom, and whenever my mom tries to fight back he basically commands her to shut up. And then after they fight (him throwing objects), he will tell her to massage his legs, where he will yell at her some more. When my mom got a 3 hour work day job once for 3x a week, he told her to quit and take care of the house. The thing is: my grandmother is at home, and me and my sister can take care of ourselves. It's only my dad that demands so much from my mom. Let's say he works from 5am-3PM. All he does when he comes home is tv, and plays a korean board game. He says that my mom's job is easy and that he spoils her. it's a shame my mom got stuck with a narcissist like him, but now im asking for your help so that she can help herself.





My mom lacks knowledge of the outside world and also doesn't catch onto things very quickly. Once I leave for college, i wonder what my mom will do to occupy herself. Because I know that if my mom is living only with my grandmother and my father, she will be even more depressed (and I'm worried she will have suicidal thoughts will magnify). She also lacks friends because she can never go outside . Please tell me what my mom can do in terms of finding a job or anything that will be of help, given her conditions (she can't go out to those once-a-month depression clinics or anything of that sort)





She is a strong Christian believer, and that will help her through her struggles. Please help herHow can my depressed mom help herself?
My heart goes out to you.


Your mother needs help now. She is deeply unhappy - and no wonder - married to your father who is just a selfish bully.


No matter what I suggest your mother can do to help herself, your father will probably put a stop to it, because he can't tolerate any thought of her independence and self-fulfillment.





But she needs to talk to her doctor without delay about the depression. She can at least take medication without losing any time pandering to your father's whims. At worst, her mood might keep sinking until she does end her life - she won't be able to prevent irrational thoughts. At best, she might just continue being miserable. She deserves to be happy.





I have experienced a clinical depression so I know what she's feeling. There are ways of recovery without medication, but she will need some autonomy and confidence, and I doubt she has any at the moment.





Honestly, she should walk away but that is not practical, as she has no network of friends and she is unwell.


Maybe there is someone at her church that can talk with her? A minister? I urge you to make sure she seeks outside help.How can my depressed mom help herself?
I have learned that if we change the way we think about things our feelings change.Take her to visit A United Pentecostal church.GOD DOES love her and has a plan for her life.She will make friends there who will love and care for her.Have her read Matthew 11:28-30 1 Peter 5:7 John 3:15-17 Romans 5:12 John 3:1-5 and Acts 2:38.GOD bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment